Popular Posts

Saturday, October 13, 2012

DIY Wooden Pumpkins

Do It Yourself Wooden Pumpkins

I made these pumpkins last year in desperate need of more decorations for the wedding, and wanting to start my own autumn decoration collection. I have no idea what to do but I figured wood is cheap ad we had wood glue, add a little paint and...TA DA! Pumpkins!

Sorry I do not have actual pictures of the process since I did this last year. They are pretty simple and self explanatory however, I made some high tech examples using paint. Let me know if you have any questions.

We started by going to Home Depot and getting 1x4s. I love that you can have them cut the boards into the sizes you want! For each pumpkin you will need either 4 or 3 pieces. If you do a taller pumpkin (4 pieces) then you will need 2 pieces of X length and the other 2 pieces X 2inches. An example would be 2 8inch and 2 10inch pieces. For a 3 piece pumpkin you would only need 1 X piece and then 2 X+2 inches. You can do them any size you would like. I liked the look of the two sizes being about 2 inches different.

Okay that was too mathematical for my liking. I need to unwind. Next I got paint. Simple enough. I just bought a few tubes of acrylic paint from our dollar store. I got 2 orange for the pumpkins, and a green for the stems. You could get creative and make green, yellow, white, red, etc pumpkins and mix up the stems. I just kept it simple. I am considering a few goldenrod pumpkins for this year, we will see where it takes me!

For the stems I just had my dad cut up an old broom handle into small pieces. I painted them with the green and let them dry.

An example of the pieces drying on the table
For the pumpkin part I only glued 2 pieces at a time. I stacked them on top of each other so that the pressure would hold them, then I let them sit and dry. After that was dry, I them glued those pieces together. I stacked them upright again, but slightly against a wall. Be careful not to get wood glue on your walls!

Once the bare pumpkins were dry I painted them. Then I glued the stem to the top and finally I finished the look with some craft straw tied around the stems.

You could always paint jack-o-lantern faces on one side to make them Halloween and Autumn decorations. Just flip them over. I had wanted to put our initials on them and as out family grows, add an initial to each one. I did not get around to it last year.  Right now it is only me and Grant. Maybe when we have that first little one.

I made 6 of these all together, all in different sizes. When I pulled them out again this year I just knew I had to share them. They are pretty simple and inexpensive to made, plus they are durable. Decorations that last for years, you cannot pass that up! These are going to be a favorite of mine every year. They will always remind me of fall decorating our first place on our own.

Side note: I had some scrap pieces so I threw together these tall pumpkins. They aren't the prettiest  but I love how they fit in with my whole wooden pumpkin theme.

What are your favorite fall decorations?

<3 LUVS!

Jordan Nicole



1 comment:

  1. Those are really cute. I like both styles.

    If we ever get our barn rebuilt and hubby's workshop completed, we're wanting to do tons of wood decorations. We even took pics of some things at Menards that we'd like to copy.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete