Popular Posts

Friday, August 24, 2012

Country Style Chicken and Dumplings Recipe


Country Style Chicken and Dumplings
My mother is a great cook. She was always making the most delicioius comfort food! One of the biggest hits (especially with my husband) is her dumplings. What I love about these is that I cannot seem to come across a recipe like this online. 
 My mother usually did not cook with an exact recipe. Most of it was memory and she is great at replicating dishes. I have made these a few times on my own and I think I have my own recipe down. My dumplings are not exactly like hers.



You need 
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bit sized pieces
3 tbs butter
1/4 cup flour
1/4 of an onion
1 can of corn and 1 can of peas and carrots or 1 bag of mixed veggies
1 can chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken
1/2 cup of sour cream
Milk (two of the soup can's worth)
1-2 cans of biscuits
You can opt for beef broth, 1 pound ground beef, and cream of muchroom for beef dumplings.

Start by sauteing the chicken and onions in a large pot on medium. Once it cooked through add butter and melt. Then add your flour to make a roux. At this point you have a really  nice creamy chicken gravey!

Next I add the chicken broth and whisk until smooth. Continue on medium heat. Allow to thicken a bit. Next I add the cream of chicken and then 2 cans worth of milk. Allow this to thicken again before adding the sour cream. Then add in the drained veggies. My mother always made this with froze veggies but...I am not a fan of the  green beans and I do not like to have to pick them out. Don't get me wrong! I love green beans. French cut is the only way to go! Those frozen ones are just yucky!
Before Steaming
You can add salt and pepper to taste at this point if you would like. I like to add quite a bit of pepper and not much salt. Let the mixture warm until it starts to lightly bubble and steam. This is when you add the dumplings. You can just add one can but we really like the dumpling part so I added two cans of small 10 count biscuits. Just lightly sit them in on the mixture and cover. Cook for 20 minutes. 

After Steaming! Magic or just cooking?
They should expand ,They will not brown like you are used to, but if you want to make sure they are cooked just open one up. It should be light of fluffy.
This is so delicious and it is a full meal in a pot. Good stuff! You can always make your own changes of course. Let me know if you try this out! Do you have a dumpling recipe?

<3 LUVS!
Jordan Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment